Re: Laterite in the UK?

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 12:20:30 PDT

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 20:20:30 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Laterite in the UK?

Bill,

>As a keen grower of Nepenthes (with mixed success!!) I am interested in
>trying new composts.. With all this talk of laterite, is this readily
>available in the UK, and under that name?
>Also do you use it "neat" or with other ingredients?
>I grow mainly highland species from easy Alata to hard Villosa.. Are
>there only particular species that would take to this medium?

Laterite is available in the UK under the brand name of Pure Laterite.
You may find it in your local aquarium shop. If they don't stock it they
can order it for you. The distributor is aquarium pharmaceuticals. Its
not cheap. The smallest pack (about 750g) is L10.50.

If you just want to try enough for one plant I have some spare which I
am willing to sell on. Email me privately for details.

>Also I have so far been unsuccessful in getting my large Utricularia
>Reniformis to flower again.. It flowered in 1995 after having the plant
>about 5 years.. Despite keeping it under almost identical conditions it
>has not flowered since.. I keep it cool in the winter (45F) and in a
>well lit situation in the summer in my cool greenhouse.. It is in a 12
>inch container and produces loads of leaves, but no flowers..

I have to admit that my large leaf U. reniformis plants seldom flower.
My small leaf clone is much more obliging and has flowered for the past
two years now. Try drying the plant out when you let it cool. I have
heard that this can induce the plants to flower. I suspect though that
its just a question of growing them in a large enough container and
giving them sufficient time.

Cheers,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk