Re: California Carnivores

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 11:15:23 PDT

Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 14:15:23 EDT
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: California Carnivores

Howdy folks, Peter here at California Carnivores...
     It was nice to see Joe Harden's comments on his visit to our little,
overstuffed nursery, His comments on our "transition" and Leo Song's comments
on thrips attacking Sarracenia prompted me to make a few comments.
     Last year the owners of the property where California Carnivores rents
its space went bankrupt in a big headline-making scandal (local headlines,
that is!). As many of you know, we rent space at Mark West Vineyards.
Marilee and I spent 8 months in a stressed-out limbo when the property went
up for sale, and the previous owners told us they had interested buyers who
were only investing in the land for the grapes, and would be tearing all the
buildings down, including ours! We stopped all projects, like new
hoophouses, etc. To make a looong story short, the new owners took
possession a couple of months ago, and fortunately welcomed us to stay.
However, the wine tasting room, picnic grounds, etc., were closed down and/or
removed, and we have been left alone without the pleasant amenities we
previously had, like a rest room for our customers! (We have ordered a
portopottie!) Many other things have also gone with the wind. The previous
owners were going to refiberglass the greenhouse for us last year, for
instance, but then the bankruptcy occured. We will be reglazing the
greenhouse ourselves later this summer, a horrible ordeal.
      As a result, many of our displays have suffered low light levels, as
the glazing should have been replaced three years ago. Also, this year, our
once beautiful Sarracenia display of nearly 400 plants have been struck by a
fungus, possible anthracnose, devastating their appearence. Due to the cold
springs we've had the last two years, anthracnose attacked sycamore trees out
front of the nursery as well. (Our sale plants have not been affected by
this disease, as they are grown elsewhere). On top of this spider mites
attacked our displays of Venus Flytraps, Cobra plants and Heliamphora. After
orthene, diazanon, and preditory mites failed, I'm resorting to Avid to
control these nearly uncontrollable pests. Judith Finn, Barry Meyers-Rice and
Tim Metcalf have been helpful in suggestions for these various pests'
control. All this occuring just before the conference, oh joy!
    The nectar burn mentioned by Joe Harden was actually the fungus problem
on our Sarracenia. These pitcher plants do suffer nectar burn in summer when
grown outdoors in California's low humidity, but that is a minor problem.
This fungus disease is something else! I am currently using Domaine on the
plants and so far the results are good, but the display has been
unfortunately set back. Anyway, in some ways I can't wait for this year to be
over!
    As to the conference, I'm looking forward to having fun. I have cancelled
my talk "X-Rated Carnivores". Too controversial, although perhaps in the
future in some appropriate setting...Anyway I talk too much as it is! (I've
given 12 talks in 3 months this year, and I'm exhausted!) I will, however,
be doing the auction.
     Seeya'll there! Peter