Re: VFT seedlings and white P. grandiflora

From: Juerg Steiger (juerg.steiger@iae.unibe.ch)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 10:20:41 PDT

Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 19:20:41 +0200
From: Juerg Steiger <juerg.steiger@iae.unibe.ch>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT seedlings and white P. grandiflora

Dear Seos

>I am off to the Burren Co Clare (Ireland)
>tomorrow for my annual (and so far futile)
>search for the white P.grandiflora.

I really wish you were lucky! As I told you once Prof. D.A. Webb from
Trinity College in Dublin sent me a pure white P. grandiflora from the
Burren (from alt. 400m) in 1956. I photographed it (see my picture 5603 in
the ICPS data bank, Pinguicula / only accepted names / P. grandiflora / f.
chionoptera).

I am in the process to complete the picture material for the Pinguicula
Monograph on the northern hemisphere species which is in preparation by
Jost Casper (Jena), Laurent Legendre (Reims), Katsu Kondo (Hiroshima) and
myself. I hope it will be in print in 2003. Ifever you find white P.
grandiflora in Ireland please let me know! I would like to make better,
sharper pictures than the 1956 one and I would like to make comparative
pictures with the pale forms of the Jura and the Pyrenees.

Let me know if you would like f. pallida specimens from the Jura (they are
not really white but whitish-lilac).

Kind regards Juerg

Juerg F. Steiger M.D.
Institute for Medical Education IAWF
Director of the 'Master of Medical Education' Program
University of Bern, Faculty of Medicine
Inselspital 37a
CH-3010 Bern, Switzerland
Phone: +41 (0)31 632 9887