U.humboldtii variation

From: Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes (fe_riva@uol.com.br)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 19:04:56 PDT

Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 23:04:56 -0300
From: "Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes" <fe_riva@uol.com.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: U.humboldtii variation

To all,

            I've only seen U.humboldtii once in the wild, so I'm sure there
are people more informed than I am about this plant and its variations in
the wild. The only differences I've noticed in colelctions and pictures is
in regards to flower size. The ones we saw on Neblina were no larger than
those of U.reniformis, for example (which was a bit of a disappointment for
me, I have to admit). The flowers of the native U.alpina were larger.

            As with U.reniformis, I imagine there is some variation in
U.humboldtii in relation to leaf and flower shape & size. For example the
leaves of U.humboldtii on Neblina were almost reniform in some cases and had
a few people in the group a bit puzzled at first. There is some color
variation among U.reniformis, varying between light or dark blue-purple or
pinkish-purple. The two yellow stripes on the lower lip are also variable,
being more or less strong. White patches around the yellow stripes are even
more variable -- sometimes absent for example. Take a look on my web page
again for a small sample of this variability which I'm sure is present among
U.humboldtii too, since it's also widespread into many isolated populations.

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Sao Paulo, Brazil