Re: U. humboldtii cultivation/populations?

From: Christer Berglund (christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 16:57:48 PDT

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 01:57:48 +0200
From: Christer Berglund <christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: U. humboldtii cultivation/populations?

Hi Guy and Phil,

and thanks for your replies.

> I've noticed that this species can be found in several places on the
> > South American tepuis. Are there any variations between the different
> > populations?
>
> I don't know about this, maybe Fernando?

The reason I was asking is because of the differences in flower shape
and color in the few picures I've seen. The pics (by F. Rivadavia-Lopez)
on the Brazilian CP homepage looks almost identical to the one on U.
Westphal's Plantarara homepage. Then there's the humboldtii (from
Huachamachari) on the CP Data Base which seem to have broader lower lip
and finally the pink specimen pictured in the book The Savage Garden.

> ou can grow U. humboldtii in a lot of muddy substrates. I keep
> mine in a cut-off plastic ice-cream box, with some draining holes
> drilled at about<
> It seems, from experience, that it does'nt like abrupt changes of the
> substrate. You'd better let it grow by itself, rather than planting it in a
> new substrate. In my terrarium, it almost became a weed.

Thanks for the detailed cultivation info. I received my humboldtii in
October last year, and it has been in the original pot (peat moss) ever
since. It has been producing foliage until the last couple of months.
Some month ago I placed a plastic bag around the pot to be able to
increase the soil moisture. Last week I decided to place the pot in a
cut 2-litre soda bottle so I could flood it. When I removed the bag I
was pleasently surprised to see a 4 inch stolon with traps, protruding
from the bottom of the pot. Maybe the lack of foliage recently is
because the plant has been concentrating on producing underground
stolons/traps instead. At least I hope so. Anyway, I'll not repot it for
the time being, to see what will happen.

> I keep my plants at a
> minimum temperature of 15 dgrs. C, and maximums which may
> raise up to 30 dgrs. C (with regular misting!).

When my plant stalled, I initially thought, that it was suffering from
the warmth in my terrarium (22-28 dc), since it originally is a resident
of the cool tepuis. I've been pondering that I should place it in a cold
frame during the summer, but since you both advocate a minimum temp. of
15 dc, I'm really glad that I asked the list (and got your replies of
course) before making this mistake.

Thanks for the help,

--
Christer Berglund