re: N. ampullaria

From: Borneo Exotics (borneo@lanka.net)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 01:25:39 PDT

Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:25:39 +0600
From: Borneo Exotics <borneo@lanka.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: N. ampullaria

Angie Nicholls wrote:

>Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 01:03:23 EDT

>Last fall I cut my ampullaria (Cantleys Red) for rooting material and it has
>thrown many ground rosettes. These are perfectly shaped little plantlets
>sans roots. Wondering if anyone has tried rooting these and if so did it
>work? Did you cut some of the stem or just pull the plantlet off?

>BTW, its really neat looking with all those ground pitchers. Must be 50 of
>them!! Like a minefield for a scurrying critter :)
>Angie Nichols, South Carolina

You may be interested to know that almost all the N. ampullaria (Cantley's
Red) in cultivation since the 1980scame from one giant plant discovered in
Brunei. The method of propagation that was used then is exactly as you
describe, i.e. from basal rosettes. I used to wait until the rosettes were
large enough and then just break them off and root them as individual
plantlets, using hardwood shavings obtained free of charge from local
sawmills. Many other potting media would do just as well. A more sturdy
plant can be obtained if about 1/2" of stem either side of the rosette is
included. You should find that roots will sprout from both cut ends of the
stem. It helps to leave some of the pitchers in place and ensure that they
are kept about 1/3 full of distilled water until after roots have formed.
Very high relative humidity helps too. No rooting hormone should be
necessary.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Rob Cantley
http://www.borneoexotics.com