Re: CP diseases

From: Paul Temple (paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 07:33:34 PDT

Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 15:33:34 +0100
From: Paul Temple <paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP diseases

> I am wondering if there is any good source (e.g, books, web page, etc)

>on diseases and pests of CPs.

How interesting and original.

People probably don't yet generally know, but a little hobby of mine has
been compiling links to useful sites for plant lovers (mainly those with
interests that are not exclusively professional). Plant health is one
area I looked at.

There is a CD which reputedly offers photos of most known diseases and
pests on a very wide range of plant hosts. I suspect this does not
include CP's as host plants but, at 500 US dollars a copy for the CD I
didn't even consider noting the source as no amature I know will ever
consider buying it. I've tried searching again for this CD but can't
find it (if they're that good at advertising, how good can he CD be?)

As to other sites. I could quote one or two that offer photos of
pests/diseases but the simple answer is that personally, and with some
effort, I've not found any comprehenisve source for hobby plant
pests/diseases, well, none that contain photos. In searching for such a
source, certainly no CP specific sites occurred.

Actually I'd be quite interested in such a site but I know that
volunteering to collate the input of others is a thankless task. Still,
I do like the idea, it's a nice technical challenge (for someone) to
build a decent functional database that can be searched using real
queries along the lines of "SEARCH=what's the white fluffy stuff on my
plant". I just wonder how many people are willing to take good quality
photos of plant problems - often required really good quality close up
work, especially for things like most "creepy crawly" type pests.

Finally, I can't recall that any of the CP books are particularly strong
on disease/pest descriptions.

(Off-subject: If interested in my little collection of plant links, my
non-CP site will go fully live sometime next week but the links are
already there, contributions always welcome!, at
http://www.ecologycal.com/society.html .)

Cheers

Paul