re: Bladderwort Evolution

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 11:17:29 PDT

Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 11:17:29 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Bladderwort Evolution

Michael wrote:
>There is also an amusing article in one old CPN detailing the evolution
of
>Utricularia from floating butterworts! :-)

Ivan here,
Thanks, that's exactly what it was meant to be, -amusing. The article was
in CPN March 1987, title CP Evolution, family Lentibulariaceae. In this
article I tried to show how the butterwort might have evolved into
Genlisea and also the bladderwort through an intermediate stage having
hollow roots. More recently I had the opportunity to examine a
bladderwort species collected from Amazonas Brazil which may be U.
sanwithii. This species and two others do indeed have hollow roots in
supports of my idea. Also, the leaves form a rosette. I know someone will
respond to this saying "these are not actually true-roots". This will no
doubt be said by some wiseguy who has not personally examined the plant.
Regardless, the plant does have hollow root-like appendages growing
downward from the rosette in a manner representative of an intermediate
plant.

Anyway, I find the topic of CP evolution especially enjoyable. Anyone for
evolution of the VFT? This seems to have a greater appeal and is less
controvercial.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California