re: CP Age and History

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 03:22:04 PDT

Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 10:22:04 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: CP Age and History

Dear Andrew,

> N. schlaeueri would be closer to the standard format,

Only if the commemorated person was named "Schlaeuer". I do not know
anyone with this name.

> although there
> is apparently less of a trend to name new organisms after a person
> these days but rather after some unique feature of that organism or
> it's location...

OK, let's test this hypothesis: I see published in 1999:
_Drosera woodii_, _Nepenthes benstonei_, _Pinguicula elizabethiae_
in 1998:
_N. wilkiei_, _Utricularia paulinae_
in 1997:
_N. argentii_, _N. danseri_, _N. lamii_, _U. chiakiana_
in 1996:
_D. kenneallyi_, _Genlisea barthlottii_, _P. fontioqueriana_, _P.
mirandae_

It seems the trend is not entirely as described above...

Anyway, I would not like a plant to be named after myself as long as
I am alive. I like discussion more than flattery, and vanity is not a
virtue (rather the opposite thereof).

Kind regards
Jan