re: CP Age and History

From: Andrew Broome (broome@manawatu.gen.nz)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 22:29:42 PDT

Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 17:29:42 +1200
From: Andrew Broome <broome@manawatu.gen.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: CP Age and History

Jan said...

>> N. schlaeueri would be closer to the standard format,
>
>Only if the commemorated person was named "Schlaeuer". I do not know
>anyone with this name.

Point taken. Although I was commenting on 'format' rather than actual
personal name. Typos do sneak in though.

>> although there
>> is apparently less of a trend to name new organisms after a person
>> these days but rather after some unique feature of that organism or
>> it's location...
>
>OK, let's test this hypothesis: I see published in 1999:
>_Drosera woodii_, _Nepenthes benstonei_, _Pinguicula elizabethiae_
>in 1998:
>_N. wilkiei_, _Utricularia paulinae_
>in 1997:
>_N. argentii_, _N. danseri_, _N. lamii_, _U. chiakiana_
>in 1996:
>_D. kenneallyi_, _Genlisea barthlottii_, _P. fontioqueriana_, _P.
>mirandae_
>
>It seems the trend is not entirely as described above...

By definition 'trend' is not absolute. Perhaps I should have said
'tendency' rather than 'trend'? Anyway, I was speaking from a
Zoological nomenclature viewpoint, with which I am a little more
familiar...

See (some of) you all in San Francisco soon,

Andrew@home.

*NZKA 137, NAKA 5, SKG, AKA 07212, BKA 073.05, PNAS, NZCPS...
* Another brass rail in another old bar,
* I'm better at dreaming than living...
* (1000 Goodbyes) - Captain Tractor
*Killies: Ducatis: Reptiles & Amphibians: Carnivorous Plants: