re: Oldest CP?

From: Vitor Fernandes Oliveira de Miranda (vmiranda@rc.unesp.br)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 04:38:06 PDT

Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 08:38:06 -0300
From: Vitor Fernandes Oliveira de Miranda <vmiranda@rc.unesp.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Oldest CP?

Hi Jason!

Despite of your question looks simple to be answer, I am afraid that is
too much complex. Even scientists that had worked on evolution could not
answer you satisfactorily...
But, I hope to clarify, even a little, your mind.
Carnivours plants are not a single group. I mean, it was not just one
species that gave arise another; in the other hand, various species
evolved to be carnivorous independently in the botanical histoty. It is
what we call a "syndrome", I mean several features that allowed these
plants to get some nutrients from animals. Thus, there are many
botanical families of CPs that do not have affinities, they are not
relate in evolution.
We believe that many external factors led to the carnivorous syndrome,
one was the scarcity of some nutrients from soil. This way, some plants
that on evolution, through mutations, could give rise some features
(morphological, physiological, etc) that were useful to subsistence
could survive in place of anothers.

I hope these words were useful.

Regards,

Vitor Miranda.