Re: Roridula dentata

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 03:12:13 PDT

Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 11:12:13 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Roridula dentata

In message <12notw-1ldHwOC@fwd04.sul.t-online.de>, Ippenberger
<S.Ippenberger@t-online.de> writes
>Hi,
>
>I have been successfully germinated R. dentata. This means I have
>seeds with a primary root of approximately 2mm on tissue paper. Is
>anybody out there cultivating R. dentata who could give me advice for
>the best substrate to plant the seeds in? Stefan

I am growing the related R. gorgonianis. I have the plant growing in a
sandy medium - about 60% sand to 40% sphagnum peat. I recently
transplanted the seedling (at the time about 2 inches tall) and was
surprised at the lack of root system - i.e. virtually none. If the plant
was not growing so well I might be worried about the growing medium but
it seems very healthy.

I have the plants growing under a mixture of HID sodium and metal halide
lamps. I suspect that it will do extremely well under full sunlight,
though as ever you should introduce seedlings to full sun conditions
gradually. The only problem I have found is that trapped insects tend to
go mouldy after a few weeks since I obviously do not have the resident
insect population which normally carries out digestion of trapped prey.
I simply remove these every few weeks.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk