re: Pitcher Plant Inbreeding

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 08:03:00 PDT

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 08:03:00 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Pitcher Plant Inbreeding

Thankyou Phil for your most excellent information on the nature of S.
flava breeding in Virginia. Before, I did not understand why inbreeding
was bad with these pitchers. Now you have made it clear to me. In view of
your findings, we growers must be more conscientious in regard to
breeding in captivity. I guess when it comes to getting seed from my
Darlingtonia, it would be best to cross pollinate with another clone from
around Del Norte Co. California. I have another Darlingtonia which was
purchased from Home Depot, but this plant is different in appearance and
soil preference. I think this bought plant if from a different habitat,
perhaps more montaine. So, these would not be the best mates. We must
crossbreed only the same variants, otherwise their adaptive traits will
become mixed up.

I feel that it is alright to develop cultivation varieties for the
hobbyist growers to enjoy. But, for these rare plants, it is eminently
important that we maintain healthy wild populations. Your work and
research, Phil Sheridan, is commendable.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California