re: wild collecting

From: Paul Temple (paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 12:42:31 PDT

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:42:31 +0100
From: Paul Temple <paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: wild collecting

>Dear Paul,
>In my statement I did not mean criminals who are removing large
>amounts of plants

Sorry Jan, I wasn't really disagreeing with what you said, just
emphasising the criminal acts that continue from within some (not all)
Botanic gardens, who must be considered to be educated in conservation,
(ie.as you say,m criminals will not be stopped by education).

>it is evidently
intensive agriculture and industrial pollution that account for
most of the extensive habitat destruction and consequently for the
loss of biodiversity.

Yes, I guess it makes a big difference who you ask and where one is
talking about.

>I believe the "evil enthusiast" is a modern legend

Oh I think they exist. (Actually I know it but I'm not gopinmg to
invite a court case that I'll win but potentially at a very high cost!)
And I hate the thought of large scale plant stripping by an individual
collector. But all the evidence suggests there are not so many. And
again at a gues, I suppose a few idiots simply can't compete with the
wholesale slaughter by pollution, land use change and commercial
collection.

And competely off-subject, I was so busy reading the latst posting that
I burnt my supper - bolognese sauce. Oh well, spaghetti a la carbonade
it is then. Or perhaps I'll make it Bar-b-cue Spaghetti (with smokey
sauce!).

Cheers

Paul