To Anita (DMERRITT@pbserver.paulbunyan.net), RE: Obeying all laws

From: Strata, Inc. (strata@flash.net)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 17:02:15 PDT

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 19:02:15 -0500
From: "Strata, Inc." <strata@flash.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: To Anita (DMERRITT@pbserver.paulbunyan.net), RE: Obeying all laws

You wrote:
"...I agree that laws should not be broken. Again it is a moral issue.
Even a bad law is still
a law. If everyone can decide for themselves which laws to honor,
then chaos results. ".

This topic is off the CP-subject, but I couldn't resist! To begin with I
advocate obeying the law, with one qualification: as long as a law is not in
conflict with the highest law in the land, our beloved US Constitution. We
are under no obligation to obey immoral or illegal laws. Rosa Parks was
correct to refuse to go to the back of the bus, thereby disobeying the
Montgomety, AL law.
Californians were correct to refuse to register their "assault" rifles, even
if it meant that hundreds of thousands of them became "criminals" overnight.

Take care,
Michael Pagoulatos