Re: Saving Species

From: Biodan@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 16:10:05 PDT

Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 19:10:05 EDT
From: Biodan@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Saving Species

Steve -
    A lot of good points and many questions we all have to ponder! However,
on the 'what if' about the Nepenthes in danger from El Nino (or other
catastrophe)... It's most definitely true that species suffer extinction
naturally and it's inevitable (at least I don't think anything has survived
3.7 billion years or so. Maybe some bacteria or protozoans.) Periodic
natural cycles have wiped out huge numbers of species at times (Permian,
Triassic and Cretaceous were three biggees). It's estimated that at least
98% of all species that have existed on Earth are extinct. BUT, the current
extinction (which is compared to that of the Cretaceous) can be blamed almost
solely on human activities. True, we are 'part of nature' and therefore it
could be weakly argued that therefore this extinction is natural, but we are
also unique in that we can control, to a certain extent, the fate of many
species.
    Considering the number of extinctions that can be attributed directly to
humanity, it would be morally responsible and ecologically sound to 'rescue'
and save species facing certain elimination. It has be done (consider the
California Condor, Whooping Crane, Red Wolf, and others) and continues to be
done. Several species are extinct in the wild, but still survive in
captivity and cultivation. The hope with all of these is to return them to
the wild - if there is wild to which to return. Basically, even if saving a
few species only allows some to say, "Well, I'm sorry about Species A, but
look, we saved Species B!" we should go for it! We can't afford to continue
to lose biological diversity and should fully endeavor to save what we can
and replace where we can. So, build those home bogs, flood those wetlands
again and keep growing those CPs!

Dan