Darlingtonia and terracotta

From: JWi5770869@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 13:34:31 PDT

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:34:31 EDT
From: JWi5770869@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Darlingtonia and terracotta

In a message dated 24/04/00 12:37:34 GMT Daylight Time, cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
writes:

> I am also aware that there are some pots which keeps temperature low in
> Japan. It is like a terracotta (misspell?) wine cooler. Water evapolates
> from the surface, and it cools the whole container. Unfortunately, I have
> not found a similar pot.

Hideka,
All you need is an unglazed, clay plant pot (which is essentially what the
wine cooler is). as long as the pot is unglazed then the water will evaporate
and cool the interior of the pot down.
However, be careful in the Summer these pots can lose a LOT of water (even in
the UK).
 Something else to watch out for as well, is keeping the plant pots outdoors
in the Winter. I did this with my largest Darlingtonia 3 years ago and the
combination of freezing temperatures and wind conspired to freeze-dry the pot
and I subsequently lost the plant.

All the best

John Wilden
Southport