wild-collected plants and policies concerning them

From: Steve Hinkson (sphinkson@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 19:45:16 PDT

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 19:45:16 -0700
From: Steve Hinkson <sphinkson@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: wild-collected plants and policies concerning them

Blanket statements like that are exactly why environmentalism has
gotten such a bad reputation.

Whether wild collected plants come into cultivation COMPLETELY
depends on the wild source. A bog area that is going to be drained
or filled, or harvested for peat would be examples of places where I
think your statement: " distribution of wild sourced material of
plants successfully in cultivation should be positively (i.e.
actively) discouraged except where this introduces samples from
populations that may be expected to exhibit variation from those
already in cultivation" Is obviously silly. What? you'd rather
compost these plants?

And what's your stand, then, on privately owned bogs? Even when
re-seeded regularly, do these plants qualify as "wild Collected"? I
Know a nurseryman in New York that bought two, rather than have his
township drain them, and he harvests plants every spring. But he
has been lambasted for selling "wild collected" even here in this
forum.

I agree that the laws should be followed, but I don't at all agree
that we, here, should second guess other's activities without facts.
BUT all too often, that's exactly how it goes. Steve

Drop by and see me at :
 http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/6811

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]