Re: Plant Rescue

From: Biodan@aol.com
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 08:26:10 PDT

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 11:26:10 EDT
From: Biodan@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Plant Rescue

    As an educator, I try to instill a sense of ecological stewardship in my
students. I also try to extend this ideal to any who will listen and learn.
As we all know the intricacies of the biotic-abiotic cycles and interactions
within the biosphere of our little dustmote in the universe are extremely
complex and seemingly chaotic. Everything we do seems to alter myriads of
natural connections, often at the expense of extreme community disruption.
Unfortunately, even with the awareness and concern of many, these activities
will likely continue toward the further degradation of our home. Therefore,
any effort to reduce these deleterious actions should be encouraged - but
with a consensus for appropriate guidelines.
    Also, an analogy could be made for modern zoological and botanical
gardens. They have been engaged in the 'wild rescue' of plants and animals
for quite awhile. There are several examples of where species have been
taken from the wild, successfully propagated, and returned to the wild (eg.
Arabian Oryx, Golden Lion Tamarin, Franklinia alatamaha, Sarracenia purpurea
and S. oreophilia, and others).
    Of course drought-wet cycles are natural. In a natural world, these
weather extremes result in the loss of some populations and the expansion of
others. However, with the habitat destruction incurred upon our lands -
especially wetlands - there are fewer and fewer populations. So, if a
population is lost due to drought, there are fewer others likely to survive.
With this in mind, then perhaps the rescue of a highly endangered population
would be in order.
    As to death due to transplants, with care this can be minimized. Yes,
the demise of some is probably inevitable. (How many specimens in our
cultivated care have we lost over our 'career'?) However, if no rescue is
even attempted, none survive.
    Greenhouse pests? Well, most if not all of these are native critters.
In the wild, there are several checks and balances that control these. They
are bad in the isolated, controlled environments of greenhouses because these
natural controls are prevented. Therefore, the effects of 'release' would
hopefully be minimal. Quarantined plants are the best way to go as that
would reduce the chance of accidental introduction and should be mandatory.
    The idea of quarantine would extend to the prevention of the introduction
of alien or exotic species. Fortunately, most of these species would not
survive in the wild because of several factors, including superior
competition from natives, 'local' herbivores and such to which natives are
more resistant, climate differences and the like.
    All in all, collection from the wild and/or the reintroduction of
cultivated species is warranted in some circumstances. What should happen to
the wild specimens? I definitely agree that they should not be sold on eBay
or anyplace else. If they can't be immediately transferred to a protected
location, then perhaps botanical gardens, schools, universities, and other
such organizations could care for these. Also, perhaps individual hobbyists
could keep these under stringent guidelines established by the DNR or other
regulatory body.
    And so the discussion continues ....

Dan