Darlingtonia

From: William M. Gorum, Jr. (wgorum@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 07:44:29 PDT

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 09:44:29 -0500
From: "William M. Gorum, Jr." <wgorum@bellsouth.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Darlingtonia

Hey Listmembers...

well, here in Louisiana, Spring has sprung. My Sarrs are have started
to send up new pitchers and my VFT's are producing new leaves and have
started to send up flower stalks. This is the first spring i've tried
to grow them outside, so I'm interested to see what happens.

Now for my question. My local Lowe's were selling Darlingtonia in those
little 3" pots with the cup covering the plants. I bought four of them,
potted them in a 8" pot in a peat/perlite mixture and I now have the pot
sitting in water that is about half as deep as the pot. I know that
Darlingtonia likes cooler temperatures and already we're getting close
to 80 F for the high; later on in the summer it will be MUCH hotter,
100 F or more. For the present, I've taken 1 Liter Coke bottles and
have filled them with water and frozen them. I then put the ice bottles
in the tray i have my Darlingtonia in. Will that be enough for now to
keep them cool? Later, when the temp rises, I'll need to move them in
the house and continue to put ice in it, right? I usually keep my house
about 75 F or 80 F. As always, any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Will _\../
wgorum@bellsouth.net