wild-collected plants and policies concerning them

From: Davidogray@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 17:44:06 PDT

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 20:44:06 EDT
From: Davidogray@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: wild-collected plants and policies concerning them

Hello list,
 I think its high time the issues around the sale of wild collected plants
were discussed here on the list. I realize this thread is a little cold, but
the questions are still relevant.

> Obviously, some plants/seed need to be sourced from wild populations to
check
> identity, expand variation in cultivation, etc. But I see no work being
> done to define what is/is not acceptable to CP societies -- who have the
> clout to control by referencing who is / is not declaring themselves to
> be acting responsibly (both commercial and private CP'ers).

>>Maybe this is a point that should be paid more attention to than is
>>presently done. I guess it is not easy to define reliable and
>>realistic (and practicable!) criteria for sustainable/responsible
>>collection of not legally protected plant material from wild growing
>>populations. Do any ideas exist for suitable guidelines?

The BACPS faced this question some years ago and decided to err on the side
of caution. We adopted the following resolution on 5-19-96: ( paraphrased )
"Resolved that : the BACPS is an official associate of the ICPS and adheres
to its bylaws and conservation policies, and that we recognize that plants
may be legitimately collected from the wild, and that in light of the poor
success rate of establishing wild plants into cultivation, and that there is
no practical means to determine with any certainty that collected plants have
a legitimate source, it is the policy of the BACPS that no wild-collected
plants of any description will be sold, traded, distributed, or collected at
any BACPS event, meeting, outing, or though its publications, web sites or
other organs."

Have other CP societies around the world addressed the question?
We don't include seeds in this resolution; has anyone else?
Have any CP groups tried to stop habitat destruction directly?

David O. Gray
in San Francisco