RE: Sarracenia questions

From: Tom Massey (massey@fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 10:25:02 PDT

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 13:25:02 -0400
From: Tom Massey <massey@fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Sarracenia questions

Trent:

You ask:

On Tuesday, April 18, 2000 11:32 AM, Trent Meeks [SMTP:flaneps@hotmail.com]
wrote:
> As a newcomer to the world of Sarracenia cultivation, I have a couple of
> questions.
>
> 1. Finally, to the question. Does anybody know minimum
> winter conditions needed by Sarracenia?

I have never seen a study on minimum winter conditions, but mine do fine
outside in Tampa. I also have a few in the garage that further buffers our
few nights of cold weather, and they do fine too. This year the coldest
night I had was only about 45 or so (sorry I didn't record exactly). We
had perhaps a week to 10 days at about this temperature. In the garage it
probably never dropped below maybe 55 or so. Plants have been growing like
this for 8-10 years.

> 2. A sarracenia seed pod finally matured on one of my plants, so I
> collected the seed into a plastic film cassette holder and placed it in
the
> refrigerator. I hope this will stratify the seed. Do they need to
stratify
> on growing media, or will six weeks in the 'fridge followed by sowing on
> media in June be sufficient for germination?

I believe there was discussion on this a while back. My experience (and as
I recall, the consensus of the earlier conversation) was that you
definitely need to stratify on growing media and refrigerate for ~6 weeks.
 I should add however, that I am sometimes bad about collecting all the
seed from my plants, and I have had lots of seedlings come up from the moss
in my plants. I guess these officially didn't get much if any
stratification. Of course, I have no idea what percentage of the stray
seeds germinated, I only see those that do.

Hope this helps.

Tom in Fl.