Re: Sarracenia questions

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 10:05:15 PDT

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 18:05:15 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia questions

Trent,

>1. I live south of Sarracenia habitats, and create a forced dormancy during
>winter. Starting in late November, I ice down the trays with RO. water ice
>cubes, and water with refrigerated water. By January, all growth has
>ceased, and I typically get reddish tendril like growth from the crowns.
>Different species react differently. About this same time, leucophylla will
>produce its best pitchers and then stop growing, except maybe a phyllodia or
>two. Flava produces phyllodia. By late February, they all come back to
>life, starting with S. rubra gulfensis blooming. I am now entering my
>fourth summer of treating my plants this way, and they all seem healthy and
>happy. Most of my plants are gulf coast natives, with a few Mellichamp
>cultivars thrown in. Finally, to the question. Does anybody know minimum
>winter conditions needed by Sarracenia?

Sounds like you are doing fine here. I find that S. leucophylla always
produces its best pitchers during late fall.

>2. A sarracenia seed pod finally matured on one of my plants, so I
>collected the seed into a plastic film cassette holder and placed it in the
>refrigerator. I hope this will stratify the seed. Do they need to stratify
>on growing media, or will six weeks in the 'fridge followed by sowing on
>media in June be sufficient for germination?

To stratify the seed it needs to be wet - it is usual (though not
necessary) to sow the seed onto soil before stratifying it. Simply
putting dry seed into the fridge will not do the trick - in fact this is
how I store all my spare seed.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk