Wal-mart Pitcher plants

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 06:15:32 PDT

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:15:32 -0500
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Wal-mart Pitcher plants

What are the exact words that the tags on the plants said? If it was
"greenhouse grown," they COULD be wild collected, since they can
collect them, pot them and grow them on in a greenhouse. When you
are looking at ANY plant that could have been wild collected, watch
out for the words greenhouse or field "grown", and insist that the tag
says greenhouse or nursery "propagated." I would definitely pursue
the issue with your local Wal-mart; ask to talk with the manager, the
plant buyer, etc. and voice your concerns. Talk to the local media if
they are indeed wild collected... raise some fuss, and they'll stop
carrying wild collected plants.
Susan

> Our local Wal-Mart is selling three species of Sarracenia
> (flava, minor and purpurea) for $2.50 each. The company
> listed on the tag is S & J Greens and a phone
> number of (336) 874-3790 is given. Is anyone familiar
> with this company? Although the tag says greenhouse
> grown, the price and size of plants makes me think they
> are wild collected. The plants are flowering size.
> Jon T. Lindstrom
> Fayetteville, Arkansas
> USA

Susan Farrington