CP Cultivars

From: Nicholas Plummer (nplummer@duke.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 05:03:34 PDT

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:03:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Nicholas Plummer <nplummer@duke.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP Cultivars

Just received my latest CP newsletter, and I have some questions about CP
cultivars. I'm familiar with the system that the RHS uses for orchids.
Each hybrid cross is given a grex name that applies to all plants of that
parentage. Unusual or awarded members of a grex (or a natural species)
may also be given clonal names that apply only to a single clone. The
grex names are formally registered with the RHS, while clonal names are
informal. Thus, you might have Bulbophyllum Big Stinker 'Dead Possum'
and Bulbophyllum Big Stinker 'Litterbox' for two clones of a fragrant
grex called Bulbophyllum Big Stinker. Having a grex name provides more
information than simply naming individual clones Bulbophyllum 'Litterbox'
and Bulbophyllum 'Dead Possum.'

>From reading the lastest CPN, it's not clear to me whether CP cultivar
names function solely as clone names or whether they can also apply to
entire hybrid crosses. The Utricularia calycifida cultivars appear to
apply to single clones, as does the defunct Sarracenia mentioned in Barry
Meyers-Rice's introduction. But wouldn't it be more informative to call
it Sarracenia oreophila 'Don Schnell' instead of just Sarracenia 'Don
Schnell'? What about Pinguicula 'Pirouette?' Does that name apply to a
single clone or all plants from the cross P. agnata x (moranensis x
ehlersiae)?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
       Nick
Nicholas Plummer
nplummer@duke.edu