Re: Hardy CPs, introduction

From: Miguel de Salas (mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 17:21:34 PDT

Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 10:21:34 +1000
From: Miguel de Salas <mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hardy CPs, introduction

At 05:15 PM 05-04-2000 -0700, you wrote:
>>Is there any really hardy CPs for outdoor bogs? I'm talking about
>conditions
>>where climate is very harsh: Here in Finland winter lasts about 5 months.
>
>Janne,
>I know for certain that Sarracenia purpurea grows in Canada, and I think
>some Drosera and Pinguicula do as well. I bet that anything that can survive
>in Canada can handle the winter in Finland.
>
>Good growing
>Philip
>URL du jour: http://www.hungersite.org/

Some of the alpine Utricularia and Drosera arcturi that grow here in
Tasmania above 1000 meters are exposed to frosts year-round, probably down
to -20 C at least in winter, and experience very mild summers. Problem is,
I don't have seed from any of them... :(

If I did go out and collect seed in season, would there be any interest for
it?

Miguel de Salas

 School of Plant Science,
 University of Tasmania,