Re: a bog garden (Sorry,I wasn't finished yet!)

From: Martin en Erica (mzevh@wish.net)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 11:41:08 PDT

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 20:41:08 +0200
From: "Martin en Erica" <mzevh@wish.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: a bog garden (Sorry,I wasn't finished yet!)

Hi Miguel and other bog makers,

Sorry, I accidentally sent my concept to the list before I finished
it! So please ignore the previous message!

Some experiences from The Netherlands (Holland): Last year I made a
bog in my front garden, which is faced to the South. I followed the
instructions from the book The savage garden of Peter d'Amato: I
used pond-liner, the depth is about 50 cm, with straight sides (then
it has more volume to contain more water for dry periods in summer).
And, very important, I made a pipe from the rainpipe to the bog, and
in the rainpipe I put a thing which is normally used to fill a
rainwater ton/can (?) with the result that all the water from the
roof of our house is going to the bog, and when the bog is full, the
water goes to the sewer (where normally all the rainwater is going
to). In the bog I made a vertical pipe where the pipe with
rainwater meets, and were I can check the level of the watertable.
This is worjking quite well, when it rains for only a short period,
the bog is filled with water very quickly

About one year ago I planted the following species:

Drosera. filiformis D. rotundifolia D. intermedia D. binata
Sarracenia flava S. purpurea (not sure which subspecies) S.
oreophila S. rubra S. alata S. leucophylla Pinguicula grandiflora

and a Sarracenia hybrid with much leucophylla blood in it.

And some more species I forgot.

My experiences till now are very good, although I don't know yet
wether the D. binata survived the winter, they didn't look too good
when I checked last weekend, while it was a very wet and mild
winter. The flower buds of the Sarrs are emerging now in most
species. For VFT's our summers are a bit too cool I presume, I will
now try them in a pot on our terrace

I also included some West-european companion species for CP's:

Eriophorum angustifolium & vaginatum (The first one is spreading
like a weed!) Oxycoccus macrocarpon (cranberry) Rhynchospora alba
Andromeda polifolia 'Compacta' (nice pink flowers in spring)

Eriophorum angustifolium was probably not such a good idea because
it spreads so fast, but on the other hand it provides some support
for the upright pitchers when it's windy, and protects the plants
against bare frost (the rhizomes are covered with the dying leaves).

 I think our overall climate is a bit colder then Tasmania I
 presume, but for the rest it is very comparable (mild winters/cool
 summers, rain in all seasons).

Hope this helpsyou want to know more, feel free to ask me!

Bye,

Martin Zevenbergen

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]