Drosera capensis in Australia and California

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 09:53:46 PDT

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 09:53:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera capensis in Australia and California

Hi Richard,

I've also observed Drosera capensis as a non-native plant in three places
in California. Two sites were sites of great botanical significance to
carnivorous plants (Drosera rotundifolia, Darlingtonia californica,
Pinguicula macroceras subsp. nortensis occuring together). There were only
a few plants at each of these sites, and I pulled all I found.

The third site is in Mendocino, California. At this location, Drosera
capensis is now a fully established weed and no doubt could not be
removed. The natural value of this area has pretty much been trashed by
people who have introduced more than twenty species of carnivores (and
additionally, greenhouse pests) into the area. At least two other species
(D. binata, Utricularia subulata) are so firmly established that removal
is probably impossible. This is unfortunate since it was planted into an
interesting pygmy forest with a high native biodiversity. I don't know of
the effects on the native arthropods.

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter