re: TerribleTransplants

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 09:26:19 PDT

Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 09:26:19 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: TerribleTransplants

Hey Richard and all,

Richard wrote:
>transplants, I have personally
>witnessed this at Flatrock in the Royal Nat. Park south of Sydney
>(Australia) where Drosera capensis (an invasive African) was
>growing in dispersed colonies along the banks of the creek
>downstream from the road for about 500 meters. (if the perpetrator
>is on the list, your transplant was a success). Its unlikley that all
>was removed and this raises the question of how this species will
>affect the other Drosera, Utrics and other plants in that habitat, two
>Utric of which are restricted to this area and one or two other areas
>further north. I also heard some crazy stories (disasters) about
>Sarracenia transplants, while in the US. Maybe we should think
>twice before attempting such things.

Ivan here,
I had a wonderful hike six years ago from Wattomolla Beach to
Garie in Royal Ntl. Park. A beautiful place where I saw CP also;
D. spatulata, D. pygmaea, some utrics. I have also visited the
site here in California you mention as being a disaster. You are,
I am sure referring to the Albion Bog in Mendocino. Here, D.
capensis has run amuck to put it mildly. I beg you, don't let this
happen at Flatrock. The Albion Bog was also seeded with
Darlingtonia. This is growing very well and plentifully. Since
Darlingtonia is native to California and has been reported
at nearby Inglenook Fen in the past, I feel that Darlingtonia
belongs in the Albion Bog, and it is nice to visit it there. In N.
Florida with the VFT transplants, I feel this is OK also. VFT
has just had its range extented a bit in my mind. Boglands
were far more extensive in Pliestocene times, maybe VFT
was in Florida in the past.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California