Re: Why squirrels dig (was: Re: Squirrels)

From: Marianne Perdomo Machin (marianne@castillo.net)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 12:45:24 PST

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 21:45:24 +0100
From: Marianne Perdomo Machin <marianne@castillo.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Why squirrels dig (was: Re: Squirrels)

Hi! I don't have any experience with squirrels but I have had problems
when one of our cats liked a particular area of the garden too much...
So has anyone tried placing smallish stones (but heavy enough so they
can not move them easily) in between the plants so that it will be
harder for the squirrels to dig? It worked with the cats... but then
they had other places to go to.

> The digging I've seen is in the soil; I think they're searching for nuts
> they think they (or someone else) buried and they like digging in the soft
> peat/sand mix. The plants suffer from having their roots torn up by the
> digging but they're not the target of the squirrels' activity. I've
> considered just putting out pots filled with dirt and no plants in the hopes
> that they'd satisfy their digging urges in these.

To those that think that wild animals have no right to the land they and
their ancestors have long inhabited, I ask you to think about the loss
of CP habitat due to draining of marshes, ditches, etc. because they
serve "no purpose" and breed mosquitoes and other harmful creatures. We
have to pay a price if we want to keep some of our wilderness. To me
that might mean I should not go live in the middle of a marsh or even
not enter at all dangerous-bear territories. After all, we have a lot
of space for ourselves while they have little left. They deserve some
respect and I am prepared to pay that price, with no regrets at all.

Best regards,

Marianne