Why squirrels dig (was: Re: Squirrels)

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 07:19:38 PST

Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 10:19:38 -0500
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Why squirrels dig (was: Re: Squirrels)

> I vaguely remember that there was a disease spread here in the South
>from eating squirrel brains.

Ooog. Sometimes reality is it's own reward. : )

>What are these rodents after, anyway? Do they eat the plants or tear
>them up to get the captured insects?

The digging I've seen is in the soil; I think they're searching for nuts
they think they (or someone else) buried and they like digging in the soft
peat/sand mix. The plants suffer from having their roots torn up by the
digging but they're not the target of the squirrels' activity. I've
considered just putting out pots filled with dirt and no plants in the hopes
that they'd satisfy their digging urges in these.

I've heard that raccoons, opossums and birds will tear apart traps in order
to go after insects, but I've never had a problem with this.

Good growing
Philip
URL du jour: http://www.hungersite.org/