Snail / slug deterrent

From: Shirley Saunders (shirley@idiom.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 09:31:14 PST

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:31:14 -0800
From: Shirley Saunders <shirley@idiom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Snail / slug deterrent

Hi
I tried the 'beer bath' but obviously I wasn't putting enough baths out
since I still had tons of snails out there. I know it's slightly off topic
but I managed to keep them out of my palms and citrus by wrapping a 1" wide
piece of copper tape around the trunks as a barrier. (I also cut the top of
the tape every inch or so and bent it out so it was perpendicular to the
trunk and sharp). I understand that snails don't cross this because it
forms some chemical reaction and they don't like it. Also there's plenty
else for them to eat / hide in. I've found them all over my snow peas,
eating the leaves, but at least it keeps them off the plants I don't want
them on. Maybe a combination of snail deterrent / attractor would help?
Well, the copper tape has been on my trees for a year now, and still they
haven't crossed it. I've heard it's important that the copper is shiny not
blackened (and oxidised). Mine hasn't darkened yet but it can be
brightened up by sandpaper.

I would suggest putting the copper tape in a circle around the bog/plant
pots will keep them off. It smacks to me of black magic, but if it
works... I don't think spraying copper based fungicide will do the trick.

Best regards

Shirley