Mosquitos & Philadelphia Flower Show

From: JMLAVRICH@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 16:33:43 PST

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:33:43 EST
From: JMLAVRICH@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Mosquitos & Philadelphia Flower Show

Hi All,
Thanks to John Orr who E-mailed me privately and Hideka Kobayashi for the
Bacillus thuigiensis advice. I haven't found it yet, but for the benefits of
others, John claims to have used it successfully either placed whole in
standing water or crumbled and sprinkled around wet areas.

Now to move away from mosquitos and slugs. I attended the Philadelphia
Flower Show (ended today) and have to concur with Paul McCullough that the
bog scene was the usual poorly lit forrest scene. I never new that
Sarracenia grew between towering trees in a deep shaded forrest! The grower
who does this annual display of woodland plants does a nice job. But maybe we
can get him to put a mock bog in the center of the woods, rather than a pond.
 Clumps of purple pitcher plants surrounded by a carpet of sundews brightly
lit would be impressive!

Paul mentioned the Nepenthes coccinea that he purchased for US $35--a good
price indeed. I don't think Paul mentioned the offerings by a company called
Dragon Agro located in New Jersey, US. Maybe this is where Paul purchased
his Nepenthes, but I didn't see any of the ones he bought. I did see a VERY
LARGE bicalcurata (mature pitchers on a plant 2 feet+ high and wide) and some
nice specimens of truncata, ventricosa and a couple of hybrids in six inch
pots (these ranged from $75 to $150). They also had what appeared to be
tissue culture plugs in cell packs and a variety of orchids. This company
advertises on the Internet. Has anyone had any experiences with this company
to share?

Thanks again to all for the mosquito advice, and happy growing.
Joe Lavrich
Philadelphia, PA-US