Re: Mosquito Attack!

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 20:19:12 PST

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 20:19:12 -0800
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Mosquito Attack!

Hi Joe,

>Hi All,
>Could someone offer advice to rid my mosquito infestation? This originated
>in stagnant water in trays that grew algae. They look as if they are feeding
>on my Nepenthes (not sitting in the water but above it for humidity). I'll
>be cleaning out the trays and stay on top of this, but I need help in getting
>rid of this mess. Will they harm the plants either through sucking or larvae
>attacking roots? They certainly like eating me!
>
>Thanks for any advice.
>
>Joe Lavrich
>Philadelphia, PA-US

        I don't think the mosquitoes will cause any harm to the plant. The
larvae are filter feeders, and the adult females, well, you already know
what they prefer to eat. One way is to empty out the trays of all water,
although even then the skeeters will probably still breed in any moist area
they can find. Another solution is to put in some large aquatic utrics.
Yet another solution (if the water is deep enough) is to put in a few
hungry guppies or goldfish. However, if you've emptied out the trays, they
probably won't come back (at least not in large numbers!).

Chris

--
http://www.geocities.com/cteichreb (Coastal Carnivores, my homepage)

http://www.nurserysite.com/clubs/pnwcarnivorous (Pacific Northwest Carnivorous Plant Club)