Re: Outdoor bogs

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 09:11:37 PST

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:11:37 -0800
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Outdoor bogs

Hi Susan and everyone,

>Chris and others,
>I'm only just beginning the outdoor bog experiment myself, but I'll put
>my 2 cents in anyway.... you describe -10C (14F) as your typical
>lows and -20C (-4F) as your extremes. From what I'm hearing from
>other cp'ers, Sarracenias and hardier Drosera can take these
>temperatures without using plastic. I think the plastic definitely
>encourages fungus... I would stick to pine needles without the plastic
>next year. (Or use burlap as you mentioned). In general, when I'm
>protecting tender annuals or other garden plants from a late frost, I've
>always preferred an old sheet to plastic. I've talked to a guy in Illinois
>several hours north of St. Louis, where temperatures get colder than
>you describe, and he has had bathtub bogs for about five years...
>some years he hasn't even mulched them, and things all survive for the
>most part. Rich Ellis has a bog in Colorado and John Green has one
>one in Utah... both colder places than you're describing. Granted, the
>last two usually have the benefit of snow cover, I guess, but Illinois
>often doesn't.
>Good luck,
>Susan

        Yes, shame on me ;-)! From growing up on the prairies and helping
cover the tomatoes with old bedsheet and burlap when an early frost would
hit, I should have known better! I knew most of the Sarrs and hardier
plants would take it, it was some of the questionable ones that I was
worried about (D.binata, D.capensis, etc.).

        One question, the fellow with the bathtub bogs, does he bury the
tubs in the ground, or leave them on the surface?

        Thanks for the input! It really does help, and it's definitely
been a learning experience :-)!

Chris