Re: Drosera trinerva -- what does it do?

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 06:40:22 PST

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:40:22 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera trinerva -- what does it do?

Hi,

>I seem to have some germinating Drosera trinerva, but I have no idea
>what it's going to do. All I know about it is that it's a temperate
>Sundew. Can anyone give me some more details or their personal
>experience with it?

Drosera trinervia is a South African sundew, which forms a rosette of
relatively long wedge shaped leaves. They do not form large plants,
getting on average to about 3cm across.

I have grown plants of the species for several years now. Like many
South African species they undergo a period of dormancy, the plant
surviving and regenerating from fleshy roots.

In general this species grows during the winter, and goes dormant in the
spring. While dormant I like to keep the plant damp rather than allowing
it to dry out as with other periodically dormant South African species
such as D. cistiflora.

As far as growing conditions are concerned, I do little more than to
keep the plant frost free in the winter months, although it does appear
to be able to tolerate brief periods of lower temperatures. I do not add
extra light or humidity. In fact the light levels are lower than usual
in the winter because I line the greenhouse with bubble plastic to cut
down the heating costs.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk