Orchid seed germination

From: Hideka Kobayashi (hkobayashi4@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 09:11:53 PST

Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:11:53 CST
From: "Hideka Kobayashi" <hkobayashi4@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Orchid seed germination

I amaware of that nurseries do not propagate but just sow the seeds to grow
the seedlings under sterile conditions are orchids. However, this is mainly
done because orchids can hardly be grown from seeds under non-strile
conditions.

Andreas,

Sorry, this is not simply right. I know this is off the topic, but I am
responding to this as an orchid grower. In most of cases, orchids need the
presence of mychorizal fungi, and it is hardly sterile! Probably you were
thinking in vitro conditions. It is not frequently done, however, there is a
technique to grow mychorizal fungus and orchid seedlings in vitro (symbiotic
germination). Many temperate terrestrial orchids grow much faster by this
methods.

Other than that, there are other 'meristematic' regions in plants. For
example, there are some in cambibium, root tips, and etc. In fact
meristematic region is more than a few cells. Besides, even meristematic
propagation done in the sense described by you, the leaf primodium is used
instead of just a few cells.

Hideka