P. agnata producing plantlets!!

From: Amy Ritchie (carnivorous_plant@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 06:01:40 PST

Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 06:01:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Amy Ritchie <carnivorous_plant@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: P. agnata producing plantlets!!

Hi all,
Recently I've noticed something interesting in my P.
agnata 'violet flower'. I discovered it when I noticed
a leaf that had fallen off of it. I saw a small
plantlet growing at the tip. I transferred this
plantlet to a bed of sphagnum moss, and since then it
has tripled in size! Now that I realized my plants'
leaves would do this, I removed about 10 of them and
now they are all growing plantlets at the end!! I had
heard that P. prumiliflora was well known for its
habit to produce plantlets from its leaves, but I had
never heard of P. agnata doing this. I tried this with
some of my other butterworts (such as P. caudata), but
it didn't work! I just wanted to let people know this.
Also, how many leaves can be pulled off of the mother
ping plant without hurting it? Thanks,
Amy
http://www.homestead.com/flytraps
http://www.homestead.com/cp_puppets