tc plant question

From: Phil Faulisi (Philcula@webtv.net)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 05:39:57 PST

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 05:39:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Philcula@webtv.net (Phil Faulisi)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: tc plant question

Greetings members. Is there anyone out there who can enlighten me on the
differences between tc grown nepenthes and seed grown plants. I hear so
many different opinions on the subject it's hard to get a straight
answer. As far as I have always known, tc was a process of cloning by
way of culturing the apical meristem hence the term "tissue". I hear
from many sources that nepenthes sold as tissue cultured are actually
seed grown in vitro. This really isn't true tissue culture...is it? And
if it isn't, then why is it referred to in this way. I think it is all
very confusing. Plants grown from seed suspended in an agar base are
really just seed grown in very sterile conditions, aren't they. I have
contacted many nurseries around the USA who specialize in all kinds of
plants, non cp, and they have ALL said that 100% of the plants they sell
as tissue cultured are indeed meristematic clones of the parent plant.
They too grow plants from seed in vitro but they don't label these as tc
grown. They sell them as seed grown. It's too confusing. Can anyone who
really knows what is going on share some information please? Thanks very
much.

Phil