wet/dry planting

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@olywa.net)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 08:24:28 PST

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 08:24:28 -0800
From: "Andrew Marshall" <andrewm@olywa.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: wet/dry planting

Hi John
    Here are my impressions, based on years of trial and error. Hope it
helps.

> S. leucophylla drier
> S. flava drier
> S. alata intermediate to drier
> S. purpurea ssp. purpurea wet to intermediate
> S. oreophila dry
> D. rotundifolia top dressing in all species of Sarracenia
> D. filiformis (both subspecies) tracyii keep drier during hibernation
> D. anglica top dressing
> P. vulgaris wet, with water running through it if you can.

    I grow all my Sarracenia in 14 gallon sotorage tubs. The
uprights(flave, leuco etc..)have holes bored in the tubs about 2 inches
below the soil surface. The prostrate forms( purp, psitt etc..) the holes
are bored at soil surface. I use the Drosera as top dressing so to speak in
all the tubs, with vft and even the occasional temperate pinguicula in there
as well. The vft and pings do best in tubs with upright S. in them.
    Hope this helps.

> Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression for most
> temperate pings is that they prefer sandier soils.

    Yes, at least for the N. american temperates such as planifolia and the
others from the S.E. of the USA. They are adaptaboe though if allowed to
be. Plant them in with the uprights except for P. primuliflora who likes it
wet. I have seen these actually floating in masses.
    Hope this helps. let me know.
    Best wishes
    Andrew
Cascade Carnivorous Plants