Re: foot candles to lumens

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 06:50:03 PST

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:50:03 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: foot candles to lumens

Jose,

>I have been looking at James and Patricia Pietropaolo's book entitled
>"Carnivorous Plants of the World". It is a very technical, sinthetic,
>and full of wise advises. Units come both in metric and american
>systems. I am very glad I bought that book.
>
>But one thing has got my attention. They measure luminosity in foot
>candles, a unit they say is widespread. All the literature I have been
>reviewing measures luminosity in lumens. I don't know the relationship
>between these two units. I supose it is not a linear relatinship. I
>would greatly appreciate if someone shares a conversion formula.

Lumen is the unit of light emitted from the source - i.e. the lamp.

Lux is the unit of illumination - an important difference. 1 lux = 1
lumen per square metre.

In the US the unit is measured as Lumen/square foot or foot candles.

If you use the conversion factor from square feet to square metres you
should be able to make the conversion.

Hope this helps.
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk