Re: Dormancy (was PLAGIARIZED)

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 08:37:48 PST

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 09:37:48 -0700
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Dormancy (was PLAGIARIZED)

Philip Semanchuk wrote:
> On the CP front -- anyone else in the southeast US
> worried about their plants coming out of dormancy
> early as a result of the mild winter?

I'm a little worried about this, too. Winter here in Salt Lake City
has been very mild lately, with highs into the 60s which has broken
records. The golf courses are full and the ski resorts aren't. I have
my plants in the basement under lights in a little area that extends
under the back porch. It stays much cooler than the rest of the house,
but when the outside temps go up, it warms up too. I imagine cold temps
will return by the end of the month, but one of the S. oreos has started
to grow. I've been trying to used cold water on them, but does anyone
else have any good ideas to keep them dormant?

On a related note, I mentioned back on October that I'd left the plants
outside on a freezing night, and the D. capensis got froze pretty bad.
The wide-leaf is all dead up the stem (about 3") but is sprouting a new
plant near the base. The narrow-leaf didn't get it as bad, and the top
is growing again and has three growing points now. It looks pretty
weird. The pygmies all survived and have started growing nicely. The
D. aliciae is still alive, but hasn't started into active growth. And
one D. binata started to grow next to the old stem, but hasn't done
anything since then. Next fall I'll try to be more careful.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah
PS. I still have some pygmie gemmae for sale if anyone else is
interested. E-mail me for details (hpjgreen@ihc.com).