Sarracenia in CO &Utricularia

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 07:02:54 PST

Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 10:02:54 -0500
From: Steven Stewart <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia in CO &Utricularia

On the subject of Sarracenia grown outdoors in Colorado, USA. I did
quite a bit of experimentation in the 1970's in Greeley and Boulder. The
main problems I found were short growing seasons, with plants producing
their best foliage during the 60-70F. warm periods, followed by -10F
cold periods. The soft growth of the rhizome would split and rot, even
Sarr. purpurea was fooled into growth during Colrado's January & Febrary
Chinook(warm) winds. I'm not familiar with Utah winters, but I would
think if you can keep your plants in a reliable state of dormancy it
will help.
My Utricularia longifolia (thank's Jay)are now sending up their first
inflorescence. The plants I have are fast growing but it has been a
over a year of growing time, in a greenhouse using long-fibered Sphagnum
and full drainage.
Take care,
Steven Stewart
Sanford, Fl.