outdoor bogs and VFT

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 05:40:23 PST

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 07:40:23 -0600
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: outdoor bogs and VFT

Rich,
Is if possible your VFT's were too wet this summer? I've certainly
seen that they hate being water logged all the time, and need to be a
bit higher and drier than Sarracenia. One person I know in Illinois with
an outdoor bog says he put logs along the edge of his bog, raising the
media in that region, and plants his VFT's in that raised section.
Susan

> My VFTs looked great this spring but generally deteriorated over the
> summer. Not sure why but i would not be surprised if they do not survive
> the winter.
>
> Rich

Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden