Re: Cold/Hot hardiness?

From: Rich Ellis (ricell@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 13:53:42 PST

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 14:53:42 -0700
From: Rich Ellis <ricell@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cold/Hot hardiness?

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000 "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com> writes:
> Specifically I'm wondering about the cold hardiness of S.
> leucophylla, S. rubra, S. flava, S. purpurea venosa, and VFTs. Also
> wondering how well S. purpurea purpurea does in hot climates.

Howdy John

I have had success with all of the species you listed with my outdoor bog
in Colorado which I suspect has a similar climate to you in Utah. While
S. leucophylla survived the winter here OK (with mulching) I have found
that it starts to put up its best fall pitchers about the same time we
start getting frosts at night here. Ultimately I think this will kill or
stunt the plant but we will see. I recall Dave Evans did quite well with
S. leuco in New Jersey however.

The S. purpurea purpurea did well this summer (as did S. purpurea
venosa). I suspect that even though the air temp is quite hot, it
remains much cooler down at the level of the moss - especially since it
is such a short plant. S. purpurea x leucophylla has done particularly
well and perhaps makes a good comprimise? S. rubra has done well also.
I have no idea where my S. flava clones originate but I would love to get
some of the Virginia strains of S. flava as I think they would do very
well out here.

My VFTs looked great this spring but generally deteriorated over the
summer. Not sure why but i would not be surprised if they do not survive
the winter.

Rich

Boulder, Colorado http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/