Fire Ant Invasion vs. Sarracenia

From: Jason Ashley (jasona@warwick.net)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2000 - 02:26:16 PST

Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 05:26:16 -0500
From: "Jason Ashley" <jasona@warwick.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Fire Ant Invasion vs. Sarracenia

Living in the northeastern part of the USA I was largely unfamiliar with the
growing problem of exotic fire ants (Solenopsis invicta) in the southeastern
part of the country. I find it sadly ironic that as the fire ants spread,
the habitat for what is possibly the best natural defender, our beloved
Sarracenia, is decreasing. I am curious however if fire ants are attracted
to Sarracenia to the same degree native ants are. If so, would it not be
worthwhile to promote Sarracenia as a natural means of controlling the fire
ants? From what I have learned about fire ants it would seem that people
would love to find a natural control or, at least, something of a deterrant
to fire ant infestations.

Would someone who lives down in Dixie let this poor yankee know if I'm on
the right track with this line of thought?

Many thanks,

Jason Ashley
Warwick, NY
USA