Re: HID Lighting

From: JDPDX@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 11:46:03 PST

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:46:03 EST
From: JDPDX@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: HID Lighting

<<Has anyone got any experiences to share with either Metal Halide or
High Pressure Sodium lighting with CP's?>>

I use both quite frequently and have had great results. My recommendation is
to use sodium if the lighting is supplemental, (to natural light) and to use
Metal Halide if the lighting is the sole source of light.

I find that HPS (sodium) will start to produce elongated stems and wild
blooming on some plants if it's your only light source. When used as
supplemental lighting, in a greenhouse for instance, you can get some
incredible colors and growth out of plants. I've produced the largest and
most colorful Venus flytraps ever this way. Metal Halides are just good
all-around, but are not as bright.

I recommend 400 watt units if you can afford them. They seem to provide the
best value for the investment.

Jeff Dallas
Portland, OR