Re: plants are dying

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Dec 19 1999 - 14:08:09 PST

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 17:08:09 -0500
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: plants are dying

>Help! I am really worried about my collection. I am worried that by
>spring, I will have nothing left.
>
>I left my VFTs, some Drosera, and Sarrs. outside in my greenhouse, to
>have their dormancy. I brought everything else (tropical droseras, cephs,
>pings, utrics, and nepenthes) inside. I have noticed that my plants are
>not doing well at all. 3 out of 4 of them are exhibiting signs of dying.
>Some are wilting, some are shriveling up, and some are turning black. Why
>is this?? This can't be dormancy, can it? I thought that when a plant is
>inside it doesn't have dormancy.

Amy,
You are correct, wilting and shriveling are not dormancy signs. As VFTs go
dormant the traps turn black but they do this even in the plant's active
phase and it sounds like you're describing something different. As a shot in
the dark I'd guess your plants' roots are damaged. If the root system is
damaged, the plant can't take up water no matter how much is available and
the plant will wilt. Also, what temperature is it in your greenhouse?