H. tatei cuttings

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 21:34:19 PST

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 00:34:19 EST
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: H. tatei cuttings

<< My rather large tatei has its most recent pitchers coming from 5 inches
above
 the soil level. Anybody had this happen? Is this how they grow in the
wild?
  Can this section be broken off and rooted? It's outgrowing my 65 gal tank
 and soon the pitcher tops will be smushed against the glass top. Any input
 is much appreciated. Angie Nichols, SC >>

Yes, it will happen as the plant matures, and does happen in the wild. I've
heard of H. tatei plants growing on stems several feet to several meters high
in the wild. Although my common sense says that you could remove the growth
crown from the stem and attempt to root it, I just haven't had the heart to
try my H. tatei yet. Heliamphora divisions can be so finicky, even when there
are an abundance of roots attached, I figured it would be much more difficult
as a non-rooted division.

Michael Catalani