Tap Water

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 10:44:31 PST

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:44:31 EST
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Tap Water

Hello, and happy holidays fellow listserv group,
We've had quite a bit of activity on the watering issue, and I'll throw in my
10 cents worth. I have used water straight from the tap here in Memphis for
more than 25 years to water just about every type of cp. ( i haven't tried
aldrovonda yet) I dont even let the water sit for a few days to burn off the
chlorine. I have absolutely no problem with salt buildup, chlorine, or other
minerals. However, Memphis probably has some of the best tap water in the
country. I suppose a danger I face is the possibility that the water
department here could raise the chlorine content to a lethal level without my
knowing it. But I've never seen a problem with this nor with mineral buildup.
Don't get me wrong, I know that there are parts of this country (and in the
world) in which you could never use water from the tap. But experimenting for
yourself is the only way you will know, other than having the water tested.
Some may need to leave their water in an open container for a few days. But
before writing tap water off and reverting to a life of R/O, distilled water,
etc., you might want to try it for yourself. I believe there are three
types of tap water; the type that can be used immediately, the type that
needs to sit in a open container for a few days before use, and the type that
just can not be used.
Michael Catalani